Google are always rolling out new improvements and enhancements to AdWords, and the latest one to be rolled out is Structured Snippets.
Structured snippets are another ad extension, so they are important to incorporate into your account for 2 main reasons:
- Ad extensions give you the possibility of having additional real-estate in your ad – i.e they are an extension to the standard text ad elements: headline, description line 1, description line 2, and display URL.
- Ad extensions are now part of the Google ad rank formula. Ad rank is used to determine the highest ad position (and actual CPC) and is probably worth writing an entire blog post on it. But in any case, trust us on this point, it is important to get the highest ad rank possible.
How are structured snippets different to callouts?
Structured snippets are undoubtedly similar to the existing callouts extension, with a slight different. They were introduced to help advertisers differentiate their ads.
Callouts aim to highlight the uniqueness of your business or product, while structured snippets highlight a specific aspect of the product or service that you offer.
Google has provided a much detailed differentiation between callouts and structured snippets:
How to set-up structured snippets
- Login to your Adwords account.
- Select a campaign, then go to the ‘Ad extensions’ tab
- Click on the ‘View’ drop-down arrow, and select ‘Structured snippet extensions’
- Click on the + Extension button
- Select + New structured snippet
- For the ‘Header’, select the which category, feature, service or product that best fits what you offer. The available headers are
- Degree programs
- Featured hotels
- Insurance coverage
- Service catalog
If your business doesn’t fit into the theme of any of the headers, don’t use this ad extension, as they probably won’t be approved.
- You’ll then need to fill-out the values, which are the features of the product or service that relates to your chosen header. Note: Each field is limited only to 25 characters.
For example, if what you offer is a accommodation, what you can include as values are the following:
- Free Wi-Fi
- Heated pool
- Kids club
- Then click on Save
Note, you can create different ones on a campaign or ad group level, or alternatively, just create a generic one at an account level. Obviously depends how specific you like to be.
Here is what it looks like in action…..